Re: [rsvp-dir] Getting RSVP Directorate Feedback into TSVWG

"James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com> Mon, 01 November 2010 23:58 UTC

Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 18:58:54 -0500
To: Bruce Davie <bdavie@cisco.com>, "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>
From: "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>
Cc: rsvp-dir@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rsvp-dir] Getting RSVP Directorate Feedback into TSVWG

Bruce

Thanks for responding so quickly. Part of my reaction was to what the
ADs said in Maastricht during TSVWG, that they had no input from the
Directorate, and the discussion went downhill from there IMO.
Depending on who you believe, even after listening to the meeting
audio, there was

- mention of the need for two independent implementations in order
for the ADs to agree to have MULTI_TSPEC adopted as a WG item (by one AD);
and
- there was mention of the need for 5 full reviews of any new
RSVP/IntServ based ID before one AD would consider recommending to
TSVWG that they adopt this item (this by the other AD).

With either one of the above, the bar is set quite high (in fact
higher than I've ever experienced in the IETF).

Additionally, the discussion of the first topic (needing two
implementations to be considered a WG item) devolved IMO when Randy
Stewart joined the discussion by indicating that this is what he does
for all his SCTP IDs, therefore the practice ought to used for everything.

No one in the WG agreed to this other than Randy, and in fact, had
several folks stating on the mic this was out of line to ask for
(Matt Mathis, Fred Baker, and Ken Carlberg if memory serves).

James