Re: [rsvp-dir] Our first work items for RSVP Directorate

Bruce Davie <bdavie@cisco.com> Mon, 07 June 2010 23:19 UTC

From: Bruce Davie <bdavie@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 19:19:23 -0400
To: Bob Briscoe <rbriscoe@jungle.bt.co.uk>
Cc: rsvp-dir@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rsvp-dir] Our first work items for RSVP Directorate

Bob,
 I think we're still figuring out the rules of engagement here...let me see if we can converge.
 Here is what I said to Lars about creating this directorate:

> [...] I want to make a concrete suggestion that might help address your concern going forward. I talked with Bob Braden, Scott, and Francois about the formation of an "RSVP directorate". I think we could assemble say 5 people, and those people would make a commitment to perform the tasks mentioned above (read drafts, comment on their suitability for adoption, review and comment) and also beat the bushes to get more people to review and comment on drafts. I truly think that the BOF has lit a fire under the people who care about RSVP, which is why you're seeing people like Allain from SFR and Sanjay from Espial being more forthcoming than usual. In any case, while we can't change the past, the BOF sure seemed to me to suggest we can't shut down RSVP work at the IETF right now without ignoring the wishes of the folks who came to the BoF and spoke.

So, as I see it, the first job of the directorate is to review drafts that have been proposed for adoption, i.e., the 3 drafts that I mentioned below.

You seem to be saying "why should the directorate waste its time reviewing drafts if the authors can't make the case that they are solving a problem that matters to someone, or will matter in the future".
And I will grant you that the 3 drafts under consideration right now don't do a great job of making that case. So, how about I approach the authors and ask them for a paragraph or two to justify our reviewing cycles, along the lines of what you have said below.

My hope is that they next time these guys show up at an IETF and present their drafts, they can at least have a few people who will admit to having read the drafts.

Bruce