Re: [rsvp-dir] Our first work items for RSVP Directorate

Bob Briscoe <rbriscoe@jungle.bt.co.uk> Tue, 08 June 2010 15:18 UTC

Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 16:18:18 +0100
To: Bruce Davie <bdavie@cisco.com>
From: Bob Briscoe <rbriscoe@jungle.bt.co.uk>
Cc: rsvp-dir@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rsvp-dir] Our first work items for RSVP Directorate

Bruce,

At 00:19 08/06/2010, Bruce Davie wrote:
>Bob,
>  I think we're still figuring out the rules of engagement
> here...let me see if we can converge.
>  Here is what I said to Lars about creating this directorate:
> >
> > [...] I want to make a concrete suggestion that might help
> address your concern going forward. I talked with Bob Braden,
> Scott, and Francois about the formation of an "RSVP directorate". I
> think we could assemble say 5 people, and those people would make a
> commitment to perform the tasks mentioned above (read drafts,
> comment on their suitability for adoption, review and comment) and
> also beat the bushes to get more people to review and comment on
> drafts. I truly think that the BOF has lit a fire under the people
> who care about RSVP, which is why you're seeing people like Allain
> from SFR and Sanjay from Espial being more forthcoming than usual.
> In any case, while we can't change the past, the BOF sure seemed to
> me to suggest we can't shut down RSVP work at the IETF right now
> without ignoring the wishes of the folks who came to the BoF and spoke.
>

>So, as I see it, the first job of the directorate is to review
>drafts that have been proposed for adoption, i.e., the 3 drafts that
>I mentioned below.
>
>You seem to be saying "why should the directorate waste its time
>reviewing drafts if the authors can't make the case that they are
>solving a problem that matters to someone, or will matter in the future".
>And I will grant you that the 3 drafts under consideration right now
>don't do a great job of making that case. So, how about I approach
>the authors and ask them for a paragraph or two to justify our
>reviewing cycles, along the lines of what you have said below.

Thanks Bruce. That's exactly what I'm saying. Except I don't expect
them to write this sort of stuff actually in the drafts (drafts
should normally only contain timeless info). But I would expect such
motivation in a presentation or an email to the list at the point
where WG draft is requested. I looked and it wasn't there (at a first
pass at least).

When I ask for one of my drafts to become a w-g item, I am always
expected to provide such info. So I want these guys to jump the same
hoops we all have to.

>My hope is that they next time these guys show up at an IETF and
>present their drafts, they can at least have a few people who will
>admit to having read the drafts.

Certainly.

Cheers

Bob