[rsvp-dir] Our first work items for RSVP Directorate - would like some progress before July 18

Bruce Davie <bdavie@cisco.com> Tue, 06 July 2010 12:52 UTC

From: Bruce Davie <bdavie@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2010 08:52:28 -0400
To: rsvp-dir@ietf.org
Subject: [rsvp-dir] Our first work items for RSVP Directorate - would like some progress before July 18

Directorate,
 Some weeks back, I asked for some review of 3 drafts related to RSVP, and I got a request from Bob to get some justification from the authors for why the drafts deserve consideration. Below, you will now see that justification for each draft. My hope is that at the very least  some people from the directorate will have an opinion about said drafts in time for next IETF (July 18) even if you are not attending.

Feel free to share your opinions on this list.

Thanks,

Bruce

> RSVP Flexible Resource Sharing
> ========================
> The bulk of the work has been merged into draft-berger-ccamp-assoc-info-01.txt.
> The rest is progressed as standalone I-D :draft-narayanan-tsvwg-rsvp-resource-sharing-02.txt
>
> - What problem with existing RSVP/Intserv are you trying to solve? What new capability will we have if this draft becomes a standard?
> 	* RSVP currently offers some support for resource sharing (historically designed with multicast applications in mind). However, this is restricted to sharing across reservations with the same destination transport address (ie with same Session). The proposed extensions retain the existing concept of resource sharing, but adds the flexibility to apply resource sharing across any arbitrary set of reservations.
>
> - What class of application will benefit if your draft becomes a standard?
> 	* Many Voice/Multimedia/Collaboration applications that need resource reservation will benefit from the extensions because those will avoid significant bandwidth wastage in various practical scenarios. For example, without the extensions, in a Voice Call-Waiting scenario, RSVP will reserve twice the necessary resources on common links. Similarly, in a Voice Shared Line scenario (i.e. a single number that rings multiple endpoints), without the extensions, RSVP will reserve N times the necessary resources on common links. Another example scenario is where a Video on Demand streamer uses RSVP to establish reservations to an endpoint behind a symmetric NAT: In case of session handover from streamer to streamer, current RSVP will reserver twice the necessary resources.
>
> - Is there another way to solve this problem (or might someone think there is)? If so, explain how your solution is better.
> 	* We are not aware of any other way to solve the problem of sharing resources across arbitrary RSVP reservations. However, it was brought to our attention that CCAMP had already defined an ASSOCIATION object that allows to associate states (including some resource sharing state) across different GMPLS RSVP-TE established Label Switch Paths, which has a lot in common with the RSVP Flexible Resource Sharing problem/solution. This is why the bulk of the RSVP Flexible Resource Sharing work has now been merged with the corresponding CCAMP document (draft-berger-ccamp-assoc-info).
>
> - What community of users will benefit from this work?
> Enterprises using Voice/Multimedia/Collaboration applications and wanting to guarantee QoS to those through RSVP resource reservation.
> Service Providers offering managed Voice/Multimedia/Collaboration applications to Enterprise customers.
> Service Providers offering Video on Demand services to residential customers and wanting to guarantee QoS of VoD sessions through RSVP resource reservation.

The next 2 drafts are considered as a pair.