Re: [rtcweb] [mmusic] WGLC of draft-ietf-rtcweb-use-cases-and-requirements-11

"Karl Stahl" <karl.stahl@intertex.se> Mon, 07 October 2013 20:16 UTC

From: Karl Stahl <karl.stahl@intertex.se>
To: 'Dan Wing' <dwing@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2013 22:16:04 +0200
Cc: rtcweb@ietf.org, draft-ietf-rtcweb-use-cases-and-requirements@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] [mmusic] WGLC of draft-ietf-rtcweb-use-cases-and-requirements-11

Quality (below)... and it's NOT all about bandwidth

Dan Wing wrote:
> Unfortunately the industry doesn't yet seem to agree there is even a
problem.

Well, that depends on which part of "the industry" we seem to be in:

There seems to be more concern about quality for 3.5 kHz POTS pre AM-radio
quality voice, than for HiFi and HD video WebRTC with telepresence
capability... I think forward carriers are concerned.

And when putting the media over our data crowded Internet accesses (that is
the way it is/has to be with WebRTC, Skype etc.) there is certainly
competition for the bandwidth. TCP type of traffic is always
(intermittently) filling the pipe at the most narrow point, packets are lost
(that is the way TCP flows share the bandwidth and make the Internet work),
but both TCP and UDP packets carrying media are lost. Level 3 (or lower) QoS
mechanisms diffserve, RSVP, prioritization and traffic shaping at congestion
points (most often the CPE/Firewall/access router) helps/works - if used!

- Carriers deploying POTSoIP with voice ending up in RJ11 ports on a CPE
(often part of a triple play service, delivering also data and IP-TV) always
have some sort of level 3 or below QoS, giving them loss-less voice media
transport. E.g. my ADSL+2 CPE classifies RJ11 voice, puts it on prioritized
level 2 ATM (57 byte packets!) until the DSLAM headend puts it together to
prioritized VLAN Ethernet frames and some switch puts it onto an MPLS link,
that in this case actually carries IP-packets with routable addresses. This
call may go to a 100 Mbps triple play Ethernet service where the voice comes
over a VLAN tagged Ethernet, not competing with data that is on another VLAN
(but often broken by some TDM peering point if more carriers are
involved...).

- Today, with higher access speeds, there is a carrier trend to use IP-level
diffserve QoS in the access (instead of level 2-2.5 separate networks), and
cable networks use RSVP for media that are shared on their Internet pipes.
That is sufficient and gives loss-less, low delay media transport.

QoS mechanisms at data crowded Internet accesses are required, even for
decent POTS voice. I have a good 2 Mbps upstream ADSL2+ Annex M access.
Using VoIP on my LAN without any QoS mechanism - 100 kbps voice is not even
possible for the remote end to understand, when two kids are surfing and
file sharing resulting in some 2000 open TCP flows on the same access.
Adding prioritization and traffic shaping in the ADSL modem/firewall
(built-in E-SBC which SIP proxy keeps track of SIP media and classifies it),
the voice get as perfect as when I had the pipe to myself for my call only.

When SIP Trunking PBXs (i.e. connecting them to ITSPs IP telephony access,
as we do with our Ingate and Intertex E-SBCs), there is often a separate
non-Internet pipe (maybe over MPLS) or an Internet access only used for the
SIP Trunk. But when we share an Internet pipe with TCP flow intensive data,
we certainly apply QoS (prioritization and traffic shaping (staying below
the access bandwidth by holding back data traffic). That is a must for
decent sound quality - even when you have plenty of bandwidth.

Now with WebRTC, there is no signaling protocol to help us see what is going
on, diffserve bits cannot be set in common OS (and maybe never when muxing
different flows over a single UDP port), signaling and media is encrypted
and ICE is used for traversing NAT/firewalls without them having a clue what
is going on (which was the purpose with ICE...). How can we then classify
the real-time traffic and apply any level 3 QoS methods that can do miracles
in this harsh environment?

That is why I brought up the idea of enforcing TURN at the access and
classifying or routing UDP flows opened by ICE.

Even if favoring UDP over TCP, using tolerant codecs, FEC, and other
endpoint smart trix helps a lot, there is a limit to what can be achieved if
you have packet loss and delay. Those are the things handled with level 3
(and below) QoS. WebRTC requires better transport than POTS voice, and
bandwidth is not everything. The network must be given a chance to
prioritize the traffic that needs it.

(Just to clarify: I don't want us to use separate networks - Let's stay on
our Internet accesses!)

/Karl

PS: Just browsed your links briefly and noted "(PCP [RFC6887]).
...surprising ...does not require the network operate a NAT..." The same
goes for TURN also, doesn't it?