Re: [rtcweb] TURN server address via DHCP, WGLC of draft-ietf-rtcweb-use-cases-and-requirements-11

"Karl Stahl" <karl.stahl@intertex.se> Mon, 23 September 2013 19:57 UTC

From: Karl Stahl <karl.stahl@intertex.se>
To: "'cb.list6'" <cb.list6@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 21:57:47 +0200
Cc: "'Cullen Jennings (fluffy)'" <fluffy@cisco.com>, rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] TURN server address via DHCP, WGLC of draft-ietf-rtcweb-use-cases-and-requirements-11

CB > I have not read the draft but would like to make it clear that no
2g/3g/4g provider uses dhcp over the mobile network so this dhcp solution
would not apply.

[Karl] True, my proposed requirement was:

> The browser must support retrieving TURN server addresses via DHCP or a
similar mechanism (maybe RA - Router Advertisement - for IPv6, an
addition to the IPCP protocol like RFC1877 for PPPoE, or whatever method the
mobile OTT channels use).

“or whatever method the  mobile OTT channels use”

is of course not proper language – 3G/4G do provide IP and DNS addresses by
some method and the same is proposed for a network provided TURN server
address.

Actually, it is up to the OS to retrieve, and the browser should only use it
for its ICE implementation.

If (hopefully) such network provided TURN server addresses becomes
available, the next suggested browser requirement becomes important:

> The browser should select which available TURN server address to
> use in the following priority order, where ICE could be used to try
several:

> 1) TURN server address configured in the browser by the user (special
cases,
> normally not used)
> 2) TURN server address configured by the network administrator via an
“admin
> policy template”
> 3) TURN server address supplied by DHCP or similar automatic network
method
> 4) TURN server address being supplied by the web application

I believe step 2) and 4) is implemented in Chrome today

/Karl