Re: [rtcweb] Call for Consensus on Use Case for Screen/Application/Desktop sharing

Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org> Tue, 20 September 2011 14:31 UTC

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 16:34:15 +0200
From: Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org>
To: Stefan Håkansson LK <stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com>
Cc: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Call for Consensus on Use Case for Screen/Application/Desktop sharing

На 20.09.11 14:58, Stefan Håkansson LK написа:
> I think we should skip both these use cases for the time being.
>
> I think we have more than enough to design and agree on to get real-time
> audio and video (with recording) and p2p data. There are design choices
> to make and agree on all over the place (from user consent to RTP).

I am not sure I understand the we-already-have-too-much-on-our-plate
argument. If Desktop Sharing is declared optional then the specification
could move at its own pace without blocking other specs or implementations.

> Besides I think that the most obvious (WebEx-like if you want) use case
> for A is document sharing and slide presentations - and we all know that
> there are several such services available already. So the pieces to
> build them are already available.

We already have more than several ways of doing VoIP and video calls,
many of which already work in browsers. Obviously, the argument hasn't
prevented us from starting RTCWEB.

Emil