Re: [rtcweb] Making both VP8 and H264 MTI

Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com> Tue, 05 November 2013 16:58 UTC

Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 08:58:36 -0800
From: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>
To: Leon Geyser <lgeyser@gmail.com>
Cc: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Making both VP8 and H264 MTI

The H.261 option has been explored previously and has little or no support from implementers.

Leon Geyser <lgeyser@gmail.com> wrote:

Both can't be made mandatory, because some parties would refuse to
implement VP8 or H.264. This will cause negotiation failure anyway.
What about a 3?
3. If you support a codec with expired IPR(such as H.261) as the mandatory
to implement codec or are
willing to live with it as the MTI, please raise your hand now.

None should only be an option if 1/2/3 can't be satisfied. Actually None
shouldn't even be an option, because it won't solve negotiation failure.