Re: [rtcweb] SDP_PRANSWER followed by SDP_OFFER scenario in JSEP

"Ejzak, Richard P (Richard)" <richard.ejzak@alcatel-lucent.com> Tue, 01 May 2012 13:57 UTC

From: "Ejzak, Richard P (Richard)" <richard.ejzak@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Justin Uberti <juberti@google.com>, "Nataraju A.B" <nataraju.sip@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 08:57:40 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] SDP_PRANSWER followed by SDP_OFFER scenario in JSEP

Hi Justin, Partha,
The call flow from Partha is a very reasonable one in the presence of SIP forking.  Let's assume that a first target responded with an SDP answer in a 183 that must be treated as a PRANSWER since other targets have not yet had a chance to respond.  Then the first target sends an UPDATE with offer2.

As far as SIP is concerned, there is no such thing as a PRANSWER.  The first target already responded with an SDP ANSWER and wants to UPDATE with a new offer.  This is perfectly legitimate and common SIP usage.  PRANSWER is a local construct that should be usable by the application to support more complex offer/answer cases like forking.

You must respond to this offer by cloning the peer connection, closing the clone with an ANSWER identical to the previous PRANSWER and then applying offer2 to the clone (or just applying the offer2 directly with the understanding that the previous transaction is closed).  The original peer connection must revert to the original OFFER state to allow for other targets to respond.

Alternately, the original peer connection can support the first target and a new clone created if there is the potential for other forked responses to the original offer.  Either way can be made to work.

This is a perfectly reasonable SIP use case that explains why we need to be able to clone the peer connection.

Richard