Re: [rtcweb] TR : New Version Notification for draft-marcon-rtcweb-data-channel-management-00.txt

Randell Jesup <randell-ietf@jesup.org> Tue, 19 February 2013 06:51 UTC

Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 01:49:21 -0500
From: Randell Jesup <randell-ietf@jesup.org>
To: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] TR : New Version Notification for draft-marcon-rtcweb-data-channel-management-00.txt

On 2/18/2013 7:07 PM, MARCON, JEROME (JEROME) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have submitted a draft proposing a new way of setting up data channels, based on the concept of data channel configurations. It uses a lightweight SDP signaling coupled with a lightweight in-band signaling (not an in-band protocol). I think it can handle efficiently the most demanding setup scenarios. The proposal is besides designed with the intent to not impact on current browser API.

Thanks.  Still reading, but an initial comment:

"Whenever the application creates a new data channel, the browser
internally checks if the passed set of parameters strictly matches an
existing configuration, and if not generates a new configuration
identifier for this set. In the latter case only does the browser
trigger the application for an SDP renegotiation."

Wouldn't this occur on almost every channel because of label values?  Or
are you assuming applications won't actually use labels?

"For each data channel configuration in the offer that is accepted by
the answerer, the answerer echoes in the answer the configurations
supported and accepted. Once the offerer receives the answer and (in
case of an initial offer) the SCTP initialization is complete, each data
channel locally created using one of the accepted configurations is
signaled to the application as open for transmission."

There's a bunch of API to surface here in order to support O/A ("for
each ... that is accepted by the answerer...").

"By convention, the inbound and outbound streams of a data channel have
the same SCTP stream number. This stream number is selected by the first
endpoint sending a user message on this channel. Till this happens, an
open data channel has no assigned stream number."

How do you handle glare? (i.e. both sides start to send on stream 5 at
the same time)

"Data channel messages are sent as SCTP user messages, preceded in the
DATA chunk User Data field by two bytes specifying data channel
configuration identifier as well as the message data framing type
(textual or binary)."

Aha.  So you've moved this into a true inband protocol with data
framing.  The current draft sends data messages with no added framing
required.

--
Randell Jesup
randell-ietf@jesup.org