Re: [rtcweb] Proposal for a JS API for NoPlan (adding multiple sources without encoding them in SDP)

Max Jonas Werner <mail@makk.es> Tue, 18 June 2013 13:15 UTC

Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 15:13:56 +0200
From: Max Jonas Werner <mail@makk.es>
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Cc: "<rtcweb@ietf.org>" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Proposal for a JS API for NoPlan (adding multiple sources without encoding them in SDP)

Hej Silvia,

On 18.06.2013 08:25, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Emil Ivov <emcho@jitsi.org>; wrote:
>> Hey Silvia,
>>

>> On 18.06.13, 03:00, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>>>
>>> What I would like to see, though, is a bit different from what you've
>>> proposed. In particular, the MediaFlowDescription object is the one
>>> object that I believe is supposed to enable JS developers to  do "SDP
>>> hacking" without having to understand SDP. Unfortunately, the way in
>>> which it is currently written, this API doesn't help a JS developer
>>> much. There are properties in that object like "ssrc" that mean
>>> nothing unless you understand SDP.
>>

>> SSRC is really just a flow identifier and it actually comes from RTP, not
>> SDP.
>
> OK, could we call it rtpflowId or mediaflowId or peerflowId or
> something? And what exactly are the other identifiers?
> (You will notice that I am really naive wrt SDP, sorry!)

Do you really want to create a second "terminology world"? For people
who don't know what SSRC means (because they don't know RTP) it may seem
reasonable but to those who already know RTP you'd have to explain
"yeah, rtpflowId is actually SSRC." So the term SSRC would have to be
included in the spec anyway.

I'm not sure if having different names for the same thing would lead to
less confusion.

Max