Re: [rtcweb] [payload] VP8 payload, decoder processing capabilities (was Re: Resolution negotiation - a contribution)

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Mon, 25 March 2013 19:12 UTC

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 20:12:44 +0100
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] [payload] VP8 payload, decoder processing capabilities (was Re: Resolution negotiation - a contribution)

On 03/25/2013 03:53 PM, Cullen Jennings (fluffy) wrote:
> I'd would find it very helpful to see the parameterization of Google hardware implementations. It been said that anyone can get the CHDL/Verilog for this but I can't get it. Looking at that would help understand what are limitations of at least one hardware implementation. I think that would shed a bunch of light on what might be needed.

Cullen, I still haven't seen the note from you with a copy of the note
from Aki that said what the issue is with you getting access to the
hardware design stuff.

The message you quote below is almost one year old, and we added two new
parameters to the VP8 SDP declaration after that specifically to address
Stefan's point, and included the following text:

6.2.2.  Offer/Answer Considerations

    The VP8 codec offers a decode complexity that is roughly linear with
    the number of pixels encoded.  In some practical applications, there
    will be a need for negotiating frame rate and resolution, provided by
    the OPTIONAL parameters "max-fs" and "max-fr", in addition to these
    parameters, many practical applications will need a mean to
    communicate the max bitrate.  The SDP endpoints MAY negotiate a
    method to communicate the maximum media bitrate, such as TMMBR in
    [RFC5104], therefore VP8 does not add any new mechanisms for this
    negotiation.  The parameter "max-fr" and "max-fs" are defined in
    Section 6.1, where the macroblock size is 16x16 pixels as defined in
    [RFC6386].  In many practical applications, the max frame size and
    max frame rate are known from other information; if they are not
    constrained by other means, the max-fs and max-fr parameters MUST be
    used to establish these limits.