Re: [rtcweb] WG call for adoption: draft-alvestrand-rtcweb-gateways

Gaelle Martin-Cocher <gmartincocher@blackberry.com> Wed, 22 April 2015 15:36 UTC

From: Gaelle Martin-Cocher <gmartincocher@blackberry.com>
To: "Rauschenbach, Uwe (Nokia - DE/Munich)" <uwe.rauschenbach@nokia.com>, ext Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>, Sean Turner <turners@ieca.com>, "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 15:36:37 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.65.160.251]
Cc: "draft-alvestrand-rtcweb-gateways@tools.ietf.org" <draft-alvestrand-rtcweb-gateways@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] WG call for adoption: draft-alvestrand-rtcweb-gateways

Dear all,

I do have some concerns with this proposal.
>From https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rtcweb/current/msg13885.html
I was under impression that the gateway would be an informational draft and there was no desire to specify conformance requirements.

The current text describes high level functions that can be expected from a gateway but does not define clearly what would be required to conform to.
If the intend of the draft is to specify conformance requirements (first sentence of the abstract) there could be more requirements to relax and the current requirements would need to be define more clearly.
Is it the intend?

If it is, here are some examples:
While the WebRTC Gateway is described in the abstract (but not only, see section 1) as "a class of
   WebRTC-compatible endpoints called "WebRTC gateways" ", section 2 states that WebRTC gateway are "expected to conform to the requirements for WebRTC non-browsers in [I-D.ietf-rtcweb-overview], with the exceptions defined in this section"

Wouldn't it be clearer to just define the WebRTC gateway from the WebRTC non-browser rather than from an unspecified WebRTC-compatible endpoint?
It might provide a better understanding of what the gateway should be conforming to.

Requirements in 2, either:
- are clear: e.g. the gateway MUST support DTLS-SRTP
- describe what the gateway MAY NOT support....see second to last paragraph
- or leave some ambiguity: The gateway does not have to do X (e.g. full ICE); so it may do Y (e.g. ICE-Lite).
Playing devil's advocate: can there be a gateway doing yet something else?
What would it conform to?

Shouldn't the requirement be reworded to state what the gateway MAY or SHALL do/support.... and conform to?

Section 1.1 and 1.2 seems unclear if meant to belong to a conformance requirements draft.

It is unclear to me if the purpose of the draft is to define conformance requirements for WebRTC gateway, or is to focus on relaxing some requirements for gateways as per section 2, or is an informational description of what can be expected from a WebRTC 'compatible' gateway.

Sincerely,
Gaëlle