Re: [rtcweb] WG last call comments on use-case and requirement document, “Real-time text”

Gunnar Hellstrom <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se> Tue, 30 April 2013 11:44 UTC

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 13:09:58 +0200
From: Gunnar Hellstrom <gunnar.hellstrom@omnitor.se>
To: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] WG last call comments on use-case and requirement document, “Real-time text”

On 2013-04-29 16:02, Stefan Håkansson LK wrote:

> This relates to the comments to the WG last call of the use-cases and
> requirements document [1].
>
> The topic in this mail is Real-time text. This was discussed in [2] -
> [8] (i hope I found all the relevant mails, please correct me if I
> missed any).
>
> My reading of the discussion is that although there was some interest
> in the use-case it was shown that it can be implemented on top of the
> existing WebRTC environment and thus does not necessary drive any new
> requirements. The counter argument was the need for common
> interoperability for real-time text rather than silos, especially in
> the context of emergency services. However as there no consensus on
> any special requirements regarding emergency services it doesn't
> appear that real-time text support requires that either.
>
> This can be summarized to that there was no consensus for additional
> requirements and the basic functionality can clearly be implemented
> using JS and suitable data transport,, and there is no need to add a
> specific use-case for real-time text.
>
> Another way to view this is that the real-time text use-case is a
> "telephony terminal" use-case with the codec being something like
> T.140, which would narrow the discussion to a codec discussion.
>
> Anyway, with the current input I don’t think there is support to add a
> new use-case on “Real-time text”.
>
> Stefan
There was interest in having real-time text included in a uniform way in
rtcweb applications. We took a pause in discussing the topic and agreed
that a discussion document would be needed describing characteristic and
pros and cons of three implementation alternatives:
1. RTP implementation alongside with the video and audio media, using
T.140 on the presentation level and RFC 4103 as RTP packetization.
     This is well defined and easiest to achieve interoperability with
SIP and emergency services.

2. Rtcweb data channel transport of T.140.
      This requires a standard protocol identity in the data channel so
that it can be declared and agreed to be used between users of different
servers. It is more complex to gateway it to SIP and coordinate with the
other real-time media in a session. The discussion lately about SRTP
keys have made me unsure if it is really feasible to have real-time text
using anything else than RTP, because of the need to have all three
media coordinated in the session.

3. JS implementation in same application as rtcweb usage, but
transported with another web related mechanism, e.g. XMPP over BOSH.
Possibly using draft XEP-0301 for the real-time text presentation and
transmission.
A bit complex to do SIP and emergency service interop, but nice as IM
improvement.
This would also need good work on JS libraries to make it convenient to
use and opportunities for interop between rtcweb applications high.

It is still my intention to contribute to such document.

On 2013-01-30 I sent a proposal for how to include real-time text in the
use-case document without indicating the exact solution. I think that
line should be followed and that it is in line with your discussion of
"no solution defined".

/Gunnar