[rtcweb] Interaction between MediaStream API and signaling

Stefan Hakansson LK <stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com> Fri, 30 March 2012 08:59 UTC

Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 10:59:39 +0200
From: Stefan Hakansson LK <stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com>
To: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: [rtcweb] Interaction between MediaStream API and signaling

The JS API has deals with MediaStreams (this is what you send and
receive using PeerConnection from an application perspective).

A browser receiving RTP streams, needs side info to be able to assemble
those RTP streams into MediaStreams in a correct way. The current model
is that this is signaled using SDP exchanges (where Haralds MSID
proposal would tell which MediaStream an RTP stream belongs to).

As I brought up at the mike yesterday, I think we may have a race
condition for the responder.

For the initiator side browser, this is clear: once an (PR-)ANSWER is
received, the responder has received the SDP, and hence can map incoming
RTP streams into MediaStreams.

But for the responder side this is less clear to me. Imagine
applications where the responder just mirrors the initiator - if one of
the parties adds a MediaStream to PeerConnection, the other end would
add the corresponding MediaStream.

This can happen any time in the session, so ICE can very well be up and
running. One example could be that the data channel is used for text
chat, when one side clicks a button to start video. And the application
can have asked for permission to use all input devices earlier, so no
user interaction may be involved.

In this situation the responder's (added) RTP streams can very well
arrive before the ANSWER if I understand correctly. I think we need to
find a way to handle this. One way is to add an "ACK" that indicates to
the responder that the initiator has received the ANSWER, but I'm not
sure that is the best way.

Stefan