Re: [rtcweb] On the topic of MTI video codecs

"Olle E. Johansson" <oej@edvina.net> Fri, 01 November 2013 08:16 UTC

From: "Olle E. Johansson" <oej@edvina.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 09:16:48 +0100
To: Daniel Constantin Mierla <miconda@gmail.com>
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] On the topic of MTI video codecs

On 01 Nov 2013, at 08:37, Daniel-Constantin Mierla <miconda@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/1/13 8:07 AM, Olle E. Johansson wrote:

>>> To my understanding, the release of the codec is for webrtc only, and particularly for client side/browsers. For clarification, is this codec/blob available to use for free in any application, no matter its relation with webrtc sessions?
>> THe text on OpenH264.org says:
>>
>> "Cisco is announcing today that we will take our H.264 implementation, and open source it under BSD license terms. Development and maintenance will be overseen by a board from industry and the open source community. Furthermore, we will provide a binary form suitable for inclusion in applications across a number of different operating systems (Windows, MacOS, Linux x86, Linux ARM and Android ARM), and make this binary module available for download from the Internet. We will not pass on our MPEG-LA licensing costs for this module, and based on the current licensing environment, this will effectively make H.264 free for use on supported platforms."
>>
>> Doesn't even mention WebRTC - does it?
> quick check on that site and I couldn't sport it, maybe there were other blogs/news/... claiming that.
Yes, there was a lot of opinions flying around yesterday :-)

> On the site, it is still one questionable FAQ, imo:
>
> Q. Can I take advantage of the H.264 codec binary module in my project?
> A: Yes. Your users can download this module to utilize the H.264 video codec with your project.
>
> "Your users" -- that sound like "not you" as service provider, more like: it can be used by client applications, not servers.

I think they mean "the users of your project". In the Asterisk example we could not distribute the binary as part of our tar.gz but let the Asterisk admin download the binary manually. We're doing that with some Digium firmware for cards, sound files and have done it in the past with some codec source code too.

But you are right, the word "users" here is propably just a bad choice of wording and Cisco could propably clarify a bit better.

/O