Re: [rtcweb] A plea for simplicity, marketability - and... who are we designing RTCWEB for?

Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net> Mon, 24 October 2011 10:38 UTC

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 12:38:30 +0200
From: Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net>
To: Wolfgang Beck <wolfgang.beck01@googlemail.com>
Cc: Randell Jesup <randell-ietf@jesup.org>, rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] A plea for simplicity, marketability - and... who are we designing RTCWEB for?

2011/10/24 Wolfgang Beck <wolfgang.beck01@googlemail.com>:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 8:28 PM, Randell Jesup <randell-ietf@jesup.org> wrote:
>>
>> This is the rough equivalent to saying "instead of exchanging email in a
>> standard format, and letting people use whatever client/webmail-client they
>> want to read it; if you want to read an email from a gmail user you should
>> log into gmail using their interface; from an aol user log into AOL and
>> their interface, etc.  Oh, and history, phonebooks, etc would all be
>> separate."  Yes, it avoids standard 'federation' formats and conversions,
>> but...

> Phonebooks aren't a problem. They're called 'Bookmarks' in my browser.
> Call history doesn't look impossible to me as well. You can either
> just use the browser's
> history or setup some bookmarking web site that keeps track of your calls.

Hi Wolfgang. When you send a text message via Facebook or via Twitter,
can you check later all those messages *together* in some "messages
history" section within your browser? If the answer is not (and it is
not), why do you expect that it should be different for calls?

Also, what do you expect such "call history" to show you? In case you
make an audio call in Facebook its entry in the call-history list
would display your Facebook id as originator and the receiver Facebook
user as destination. But in case you join a web game in which RTCweb
is used for *automatically* receive audio from other gamers, what do
you expect the entry in the call-history to display?

Also the fact that your browser has received a RTCweb audio call from
a web game does not mean that you can make an outgoing call to the
caller (the website could be designed in a way that just calls from
server to clients make sense). It could occur that such incoming call
from the web game has not an "originator" (as such information is up
to the website). Nobody is mandating that a RTCweb call MUST contains
a "From" and a "To". RTC-Web is not SIP and it is not about legacy
telephony, neither it's designed to be an Skype on the web.

> I used to defend Usenet using all of your arguments. The Web has won.

IMHO I'm defending the Web model.

Regards.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo