Re: [rtcweb] Codec Draft

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Sun, 18 December 2011 22:12 UTC

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 23:12:11 +0100
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: Rob Glidden <rob.glidden@sbcglobal.net>
Cc: rtcweb@ietf.org, Cary Bran <Cary.Bran@plantronics.com>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Codec Draft

On 12/17/2011 08:14 PM, Rob Glidden wrote:
> Chris:
>
> No, not at all, I'm saying something altogether different: I am saying
> all these kinds of characterizations supporting old text, however
> framed, cast wrong procedural net, for multiple reasons.
>
> Proposed new text is straightforward and should be unobjectionable:
>
> "The REQUIRED video codec should be a royalty-free codec which has
> been specified by a recognized standards process such as MPEG or other
> due-process standards group and provide reviewable substantiation of
> its royalty-free status."
The long parse of that is (as I read it):

* Royalty-free is a requirement.
* Specified (not just blessed) by an acceptable standards process is a
requirement.
* MPEG's process is an acceptable standards process.
* There has to be documentation of royalty-free status that can be reviewed.

Implicit in the statement (given that this is the only statement) is:

* There is no reason to talk about the technical quality of the codec.
* The form of IPR documentation, or the amount of review, can be left
unspecified. This can be read as an implicit assumption that MPEG's
currently specified IPR process is "good enough".
* It is OK to wait until such a royalty-free codec exists before
emitting the specification.

Of these seven points, there is only one I'm sure I agree with.

              Harald