Re: [rtcweb] RTCweb signalling overview

Mary Barnes <mary.ietf.barnes@gmail.com> Fri, 09 September 2011 15:50 UTC

Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 10:52:23 -0500
From: Mary Barnes <mary.ietf.barnes@gmail.com>
To: "Muthu Arul Mozhi Perumal (mperumal)" <mperumal@cisco.com>
Cc: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] RTCweb signalling overview

Yes, federated SIP certainly has the problems that VIPR is intended to
solve.  And, of course, without VIPR or without SPs supporting Federations
and/or ENUM, the only choice is to interwork via the PSTN.  However, given
that there are multiple solutions for SIP based federation, it makes sense
to not reinvent the wheel and trying to suggest that you only need a subset
of SIP for this interface is a slipperly slope as has already been
suggested. And, of course, using SIP as is on this interface facilitates
interworking in cases where the Web Server is interfacing to a "legacy" SIP
Server.  As an aside, I think it's silly to refer to the SIP protocol
developed by the IETF as "legacy".   I don't think the intent of RTCWEB is
to marginalize SIP.   As Keith suggests, it may be that some additional
information needs to be passed over that interface to support RTCWEB, but I
would hope that would not require core SIP changes.

Mary.