Re: [rtcweb] Agenda time request for draft-marjou-rtcweb-audio-codecs-for-interop-01

<stephane.proust@orange.com> Wed, 13 March 2013 19:37 UTC

From: stephane.proust@orange.com
To: Jean-Marc Valin <jmvalin@mozilla.com>, MARJOU Xavier OLNC/OLN <xavier.marjou@orange.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 19:36:52 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.197.38.3]
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Agenda time request for draft-marjou-rtcweb-audio-codecs-for-interop-01

Hello

Our understanding is that the reason of the "no consensus" on additional recommended codecs was the additional costs for browsers.
The proposal is then to make these "MUST" fully conditional to the case of no (or very reduced) additional costs, when the codecs are already available on the device and when no additional license fee is required

We could even live with lower level of "requirements" with respectively May and Should (instead of Should and shall) but we think that this proposal is a way to take into account both browser manufacturers concerns on browsers costs and telcos concerns on transcoding costs and some other companies share this view.

Stéphane