Re: [rtcweb] Facebook is not SIP

Tim Panton <tim@phonefromhere.com> Thu, 20 October 2011 09:39 UTC

From: Tim Panton <tim@phonefromhere.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 10:39:37 +0100
To: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Cc: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Facebook is not SIP

On 20 Oct 2011, at 10:30, Harald Alvestrand wrote:

> On 10/20/11 11:23, Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> When two Facebook users chat via web, they are already using a
>> signaling protocol in-the-wire, which one? The *custom* signaling
>> protocol Facebook designed.
> They're using XMPP: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/chat/

Yes, they are using XMPP - but are they using it to the browser or only for interop? The
document does not say, and I haven't wiresharked the traffic to see,
at the very least I imagine they are running it over http / websockets.

> Unfortunately Facebook has chosen (so far) to not participate in federation.

Which is a shame, but it does bring up an interesting point, if we were to _force_
federation (of RTC) on a website by standardising it into rtcweb, then
that might cause sites like facebook to reject the standard.

> Rest of message deleted, since it's based on a false premise.

It isn't clear to me that it is a totally false premise and anyway the link above illustrates some
of the issues in using a non- web protocol on a web site.
Specifically , FB use their own Auth presumably to provide a single-sign-on experience.

Tim