Re: [rtcweb] Positioning draft-ietf-rtcweb-ip-address as a standards-track document

"Drage, Keith (Nokia - GB)" <keith.drage@nokia.com> Tue, 05 April 2016 14:20 UTC

From: "Drage, Keith (Nokia - GB)" <keith.drage@nokia.com>
To: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>, Justin Uberti <juberti@google.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2016 14:19:23 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.239.27.39]
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Positioning draft-ietf-rtcweb-ip-address as a standards-track document

I have no problem with the proposed changes.

I do however have some further questions as a result of those changes.

1)	In clause 3, we have the following sentence unchanged:

	"This means that WebRTC should be configured by
   default to only reveal the minimum amount of information needed to
   establish a performant WebRTC session, while providing options to
   reveal additional information upon user consent, or further limit
   this information if the user has specifically requested this."

Section 3 is entitled goals, but I am unsure how this sentence fits in that scope. Can you clarify (in response rather than in the draft for the moment).

2)	What happens to clause 5. Is the first bullet:

	"Applications should deploy a TURN server with support for both UDP
      and TCP connections to the server.  This ensures that connectivity
      can still be established, even when Mode 3 or 4 are in use,
      assuming the TURN server can be reached."

specified elsewhere, and if so where, or is this a real "SHOULD".

3)	Similarly on clause 5, the proposed text states that mode 1 and mode 2 are mandatory to support, with the implication that mode 3 and mode 4 are optional. However clause 5 states:

	"Applications can detect when they don't have access to the full
      set of ICE candidates by checking for the presence of host
      candidates.  If no host candidates are present, Mode 3 or 4 above
      is in use."

Which seems to imply that mode 3 and mode 4 have to be supported as well.

4)	And on the last bullet of clause 5, I am unsure whether

	"Future versions of browsers may present an indicator to signify
      that the page is using WebRTC to set up a peer-to-peer connection.
      Applications should be careful to only use WebRTC in a fashion
      that is consistent with user expectations."

belongs in the document. Can you provide some explanation as to why you believe it is useful.

Regards

Keith