Re: [rtcweb] Strawman for how to prevent voice-hammer without ICE

"Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com> Thu, 28 July 2011 15:14 UTC

From: "Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com>
To: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 17:14:42 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Strawman for how to prevent voice-hammer without ICE

[JRE] This assumes RTP-RTCP multiplexing, which not many current devices support. There are so many things that RTC-Web is proposing to use that are not widely supported on existing devices that some sort of gateway looks inevitable. Eliminating one particular instance of incompatibility might reduce the amount of adaptation the gateway needs to perform, but it looks increasingly unlikely that all adaptation can be eliminated. So is there any real value in trying to eliminate one aspect if others can't be eliminated? Probably yes, but not if it introduces other compromises, e.g., security. I think it is worth exploring this further.

John