Re: [rtcweb] More on authorization and endpoint authentication

Igor Faynberg <igor.faynberg@alcatel-lucent.com> Fri, 05 August 2011 18:05 UTC

Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 14:05:40 -0400
From: Igor Faynberg <igor.faynberg@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com>
Cc: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] More on authorization and endpoint authentication

There are many interesting points here (as there are elsewhere on this
thread).

Just to pick one, I wonder if it is an appropriate time to start zeroing
in on acceptable identities as well as on the way of mapping them to a
specific "person" (including bots).
There are two aspects to it. One is authentcation (i.e., a sort of a
transitive closure reliance: if I know that A and B are different
identities of P, and I have authenticated P based on A, I may , in
certain circumstances, trust what comes from B), and the other is
actually the choice of identifier.

Of course, I realize that this question sort of strays off the thread...

On the identifer choice, in direct response to Ted's last point, I would
think that using SIP identities has much merit in several deployments.
One is mobile telecom, where incidentally an end-point device is always
sufficiently authenticated, with a  straight-forward extension to the
person's authentication as the next step.

(By the way, when I read the quoted paragraph from Eric, I did assume
that he meant "identity." )

Igor