Re: [rtcweb] Plan A, respun - bundle-only attribute

Cullen Jennings <fluffy@iii.ca> Thu, 09 May 2013 02:16 UTC

From: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@iii.ca>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2013 19:16:08 -0700
To: "Dale R. Worley" <worley@ariadne.com>
Cc: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Plan A, respun - bundle-only attribute

Hmm - most of this seems to just be the same as bundle. At least that was how I read the draft.

On May 8, 2013, at 12:37 PM, Dale R. Worley <worley@ariadne.com> wrote:

> This is a promising proposal, but I think a lot more care needs to be
> taken in defining how port numbers are to be used in this technique.
> I can't tell what particular uses of port numbers are allowed and what
> ones are not allowed.  And it seems that the intended patterns could
> result in problematic behaviors from intermediate devices.
>
> Erratum:  You state "you can always have more than one bundle", but
> the example in section 6 does not contain an "a=group" attribute.
>
> It seems that an offered bundle consists of:
>
> - one or more m= lines offering non-zero ports
>
> - zero or more m= lines offering zero ports but with "a=bundle-only"
>
> Question:  Is it true that there must be at least one m= line with a
> non-zero port,

There must be at least one is how I read the draft when coupled with current bundle draft

> or can *all* the m= lines be bundle-only (if the UA is
> willing to have none of the media streams if the other UA doesn't
> support bundling)?  If all may have zero ports, what port is to be
> used for transport?
>
> Question:  If there is more than one m= line offering non-zero ports,
> are identical port numbers required/permitted/forbidden?  It would
> appear from backward-compatibility considerations that the answer is
> "forbidden", but that is not stated.
>
> An answered bundle consists of:
>
> - zero or more m= lines that are rejected by containing a zero port
>
> - one or more m= lines that are accepted by containing a non-zero port
>
> Question:  If there is more than one m= line offering non-zero ports,
> are identical port numbers required/permitted/forbidden?  You state
> that the answer is "permitted", but that seems problematic:

Uh, I read this as it is the bundle draft

> Question:  It is clear what the intended transport association is if
> both the offer and answer contain only one non-zero port number.  What
> is the intended transport association(s) in other cases?

whatever bundle says

> Question:  It is possible that the only accepted m= lines in the
> bundle are ones that were offered with zero ports and
> "a=bundle-only".  This results in an intended packet flow that does
> not correspond to the offered/answered port for any single one of the
> m= lines.  This may cause problems with intermediate devices.

Seems like the clean up O/A in bundle would clean this up - so same as bundle

> Question:  If several m= lines are offered with different ports and
> they are accepted (with the same port), what is the intended transport
> association?  It seems that in any case, there will be an m= line with
> an offered/answered port pair that will not receive any traffic, which
> may cause problems with intermediate devices.

This is the same as bundle