Re: [rtcweb] Straw Poll on Video Codec Alternatives

John Leslie <john@jlc.net> Wed, 08 January 2014 01:18 UTC

Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 20:18:31 -0500
From: John Leslie <john@jlc.net>
To: Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com>
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>, Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Straw Poll on Video Codec Alternatives

Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com> wrote:

> ... Provide your poll input by replying to this email to the WG mailing
> list. The poll will run until the end of the 12th of January 2014...

 1.  All entities MUST support H.264
  a. Are you in favor of this option [Yes/No/Acceptable]:
     No

  b. Do you have any objections to this option, if so please summarize them:
     Too many potential implementors have IPR problems.

 2.  All entities MUST support VP8
  a. Are you in favor of this option [Yes/No/Acceptable]:
     No

  b. Do you have any objections to this option, if so please summarize them:
     Too many potential implementors have IPR problems.

 3.  All entities MUST support both H.264 and VP8
  a. Are you in favor of this option [Yes/No/Acceptable]:
     No

  b. Do you have any objections to this option, if so please summarize them:
     Too many potential implementors have IPR problems. (Note, I do support both of these as SHOULD.)

 4.  Browsers MUST support both H.264 and VP8, other entities MUST support at least one of H.264 and VP8
  a. Are you in favor of this option [Yes/No/Acceptable]:
     No

  b. Do you have any objections to this option, if so please summarize them:
     Though we call it webrtc, I don't favor browsers being a mandatory middleman. (I do trust at least a few browsers to support both, regardless of our MTI wording.)

 5.  All entities MUST support at least one of H.264 and VP8
  a. Are you in favor of this option [Yes/No/Acceptable]:
     No

  b. Do you have any objections to this option, if so please summarize them:
     Too many potential implementors have IPR problems.

 6.  All entities MUST support H.261
  a. Are you in favor of this option [Yes/No/Acceptable]:
     Yes

  b. Do you have any objections to this option, if so please summarize them:

 7.  There is no MTI video codec
  a. Are you in favor of this option [Yes/No/Acceptable]:
     Acceptable (0.8)

  b. Do you have any objections to this option, if so please summarize them:
     I dislike giving up; but the horse appears pretty dead. Punting to another group would be a Yes.

 8.  All entities MUST support H.261 and all entities MUST support at least one of H.264 and VP8

     #10 is much better.

 9.  All entities MUST support Theora
  a. Are you in favor of this option [Yes/No/Acceptable]:
     No

  b. Do you have any objections to this option, if so please summarize them:
     IPR situation is unclear.

10.  All entities MUST implement at least two of {VP8, H.264, H.261}
  a. Are you in favor of this option [Yes/No/Acceptable]:
     Yes

  b. Do you have any objections to this option, if so please summarize them:

11.  All entities MUST implement at least two of {VP8, H.264, H.263}
  a. Are you in favor of this option [Yes/No/Acceptable]:
     No

  b. Do you have any objections to this option, if so please summarize them:
     IPR situation is unclear.

12.  All entities MUST support decoding using both H.264 and VP8, and MUST support encoding using at least one of H.264 or VP8
  a. Are you in favor of this option [Yes/No/Acceptable]:
     No

  b. Do you have any objections to this option, if so please summarize them:
     Too many potential implementors have IPR problems.

13.  All entities MUST support H.263
  a. Are you in favor of this option [Yes/No/Acceptable]:
     No

  b. Do you have any objections to this option, if so please summarize them:
     IPR situation is unclear.

14.  All entities MUST implement at least two of {VP8, H.264, Theora}
  a. Are you in favor of this option [Yes/No/Acceptable]:
     No

  b. Do you have any objections to this option, if so please summarize them:
     IPR situation is unclear.

15.  All entities MUST support decoding using Theora.
  a. Are you in favor of this option [Yes/No/Acceptable]:

  b. Do you have any objections to this option, if so please summarize them:
     Doesn't solve the issue, and IPR situation is unclear.

16.  All entities MUST support Motion JPEG
  a. Are you in favor of this option [Yes/No/Acceptable]:
     No

  b. Do you have any objections to this option, if so please summarize them:
     IPR situation is unclear (and decidedly not worth clarifying!).

--
John Leslie <john@jlc.net>