Re: [rtcweb] Agenda time request for draft-marjou-rtcweb-audio-codecs-for-interop-01

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Wed, 13 March 2013 14:05 UTC

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 15:05:46 +0100
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Agenda time request for draft-marjou-rtcweb-audio-codecs-for-interop-01

High level thoughts from a browser implementor:

- The first target of WebRTC is the browser to browser case. These
codecs do not add any capability to the browser to browser case, because
OPUS is available.

- In the most common browser distribution models, it is an advantage to
include at least a fallback version of all available features in the
binary, so that the set of features available to the user is constant.
This means that the browser either incurs licensing costs or support
costs (to support the variability of user scenarios).

- The inclusion of royalty-required codecs severely crimps the
distribution models available for browsers, which makes it even harder
for new browsers to enter the market than it already is, and the WG
charter we agreed on says that we "prefer non-encumbered codecs".

We can discuss the cost of transcoding separately, but the cost to the
browsers of extra codecs, especially royalty-encumbered ones, should not
be underestimated.