Re: [rtcweb] Protesting the QoS document decision

Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk> Thu, 14 November 2013 22:12 UTC

Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 22:11:42 +0000
From: Gorry Fairhurst <gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk>
To: James Polk <jmpolk@cisco.com>, Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Cc: rai-ads@tools.ietf.org, "Black, David" <david.black@emc.com>, "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>, tsv-ads@tools.ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Protesting the QoS document decision

We don't need to keep hearing from people how much they want this done -
we need to hear from people who say they'll do this, or speak to people
who understand the issues and get new text to go into this draft.

The draft was discussed at length in Berlin. Cullen presented to TSVWG -
it received feedback, comments, and a request to address the comments on
the list or in the draft. We followed-up with announcement to RMCAT in
Berlin, and a tiny bit of feedback. Cullen who presented, also Chairs
RMCAT - so surely can't be "hidden" from RMCAT?

In TSVWG, there was interest recorded in doing such work, and there's
surely expertise to work on DSCP-related issues. However, I saw no
discussion following Berlin on the list or responses from the authors,
sorry. We did see need for various other things (SCTP-related) by RMCAT,
and promptly adopted and also prioritized these.

I hoped there would be an updated draft - but there was no presentation
requested and there had been no document update in response to the
comments. IF Cullen had wanted to come back and say more (or anyone
else) they could have done.

If people *are* interested - and people keep saying they are - then
please listen to the feedback being given and either update the draft or
propose another draft that addresses the comments. If the comments don't
apply for some reason, then bring up the topic on the list. If the
feedback isn't clear enough to act upon, and it may not be after time,
we can surely help...

We're listening...

Gorry
(wearing TSVWG chair hat)