Re: [rtcweb] IdP and universal trust

Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com> Thu, 29 March 2012 12:45 UTC

From: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 14:46:22 +0200
To: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Cc: Randell Jesup <randell-ietf@jesup.org>, "<rtcweb@ietf.org>" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] IdP and universal trust

There is a more basic problem here, which is that "legacy" scenarios are typically about reaching an E.164 number.   Given that IdP (or PKI for that matter) cannot be used to prove ownership of an E.164 number, such as +14255551212@example.com, it is difficult to see how identity can be provided by any mechanism for the legacy cases, and MITM attacks seem intrinsic to the scenario.  For example, +14255551212@example.com is equivalent to +14255551212@eviltwin.example.net so that first-party IdPs are not authoritative for E.164 numbers, and MITM attacks have long been acknowledged as possible within the SIP DTLS/SRTP framework (e.g. eviltwin.example.net can change the E.164 URI and resign the message via RFC 4474 without being detected).