Re: [rtcweb] Current state of signaling discussion

Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com> Tue, 18 October 2011 21:05 UTC

From: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com>
To: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 21:05:03 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.0.0.30]
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>, "rtcweb-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <rtcweb-chairs@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Current state of signaling discussion

In the abstract it states:
"The protocol focuses solely on media negotiation and does not handle call control, call processing, or other functions."

Ignoring esoteric stuff like session transfer, forwarding, etc. (ie, ignoring "phone" stuff) is fine.

BUT, for an actual session protocol to work for even a gaming app, you need to do the following:
1) determine a target for the ROAP message (ie, who's this OFFER going to in the end?)
2) define how that target identity is conveyed (ie, how does the web server know which browser to give this ROAP OFFER to?)
3) define a source identity model, possibly with authentication (ie, who are you?)
4) define how the source identity is conveyed (ie, how does the server/far-end-browser know who's calling?)
5) define a end-of-session indication
6) define a keep-alive mechanism, for when the far end goes away silently and (5) doesn't apply

And I've probably missed some other things.

-hadriel