Re: [rtcweb] RTCWeb default signaling protocol [was RE: About defining a signaling protocol for WebRTC (or not)]

Roman Shpount <roman@telurix.com> Fri, 16 September 2011 00:49 UTC

Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 20:52:03 -0400
From: Roman Shpount <roman@telurix.com>
To: Ravindran Parthasarathi <pravindran@sonusnet.com>
Cc: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] RTCWeb default signaling protocol [was RE: About defining a signaling protocol for WebRTC (or not)]

Partha,

It is not possible to implement browser to browser calls unless both
browsers are on public IPs or on the same network. As far as signaling is
concerned, it is always going to be browser to server to browser call. Since
there is always a server on the signaling path and since implementing a
signaling gateway from long poll HTTP or websocket signaling interface to
SIP (as shown by a number of projects mentioned in this thread) is straight
forward enough to implement, there is no desire to create a standard
signaling protocol to be used in the browser. There is no benefit for the
application developer in following this standard, since it provides neither
more functionality no better performance then a custom protocol implemented
in JavaScript. Interop and fragmentation arguments do not apply to this
either, since it is the same as complaining that HotMail and GMail use
different protocols when implementing web mail. It does not affect anything
since this stays within the same application and is no more then an
implementation detail.
Roman Shpount