Re: [rtcweb] Unified plan IPR

Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> Tue, 23 July 2013 22:21 UTC

Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 17:21:25 -0500
From: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
To: cowwoc <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org>
Cc: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Unified plan IPR

The chairs have asked us not to cross-post. As this pertains to an IETF
IPR declaration, I'll speak to it here.

I'll note that your response is a vast overreaction at this juncture, as
(1) these are merely applications, not granted patents; and (2) Ericsson
has not yet indicated their intentions regarding the licensing terms of
any patents that may result.

In terms of your two questions: I'm not a laywer, so I'm not able to
speak to the applicability of the patents in any authoritative fashion.
All that I can really say is that I have a reasonable belief that the
claims of these applications, if granted, would apply to the draft in
question.

I will make one factual observation, without any interpretation, from
which you can draw your own conclusions: the independent claims of the
patent applications in question do not mention SDP.

/a