Re: [rtcweb] My Opinion: Why I think a negotiating protocol is a Good Thing

Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net> Tue, 18 October 2011 18:43 UTC

Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 20:43:34 +0200
From: Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net>
To: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] My Opinion: Why I think a negotiating protocol is a Good Thing

2011/10/18 Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>:
>> Anyhow, the point here is: are you advocating for having a default
>> signaling protocol in-the-wire or not? It's a bit unclear from your
>> first mail given the ammount of signaling fragments in the whole
>> RTCweb picture.
>>
> I'm advocating a single protocol between the Javascript and the Web browser.

Well, so instead of managing a simple JS API you mean a JS API with
memory and state, so let's call it "protocol". Then I strongly think
that what you suggest is the same as ROAP. And I do agree with such
proposal.

> It's a viable option for some applications to run that protocol from one
> browser to the other browser over a mechanism of their choice; many
> applications will make other choices, including those who choose to
> implement SIP in Javascript.

There is a risk here. If the specs and the API are based on that
signaling protocol, maybe they just fullfit the requirements of that
protocol and forget other possible solutions. Just wondering. But
there will be people ensuring that does not happen ;)

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo
<ibc@aliax.net>