Re: [rtcweb] Straw Poll on Nokia mincing

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Thu, 19 December 2013 09:48 UTC

Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 10:48:53 +0100
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Straw Poll on Nokia mincing

On 12/19/2013 07:50 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> I think the biggest problem is that people only want to maintain code
> for one codec. If you already have H.264 support implemented, you will
> oppose every other codec, no matter how big the advantages.
> Therefore, a compromise is not possible with such a position.

Actually very few people are going to maintain code for only one codec.

This might have been seen as a possibility when we started this effort,
but at the moment, it's clear that people will want to ship their
favourite out of {H.265, VP9} in addition to whatever is agreed as MTI.

So at worst we're looking at increasing the support burden from 2 to 3.
In many cases, I suspect that the delta is even less, because a lot of
the people with "legacy" equipment are already supporting other "legacy"
codecs.