Re: [rtcweb] NAT Draft

Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com> Fri, 04 November 2011 01:59 UTC

From: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com>
To: "Bran, Cary" <Cary.Bran@plantronics.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2011 01:59:14 +0000
x-originating-ip: [216.41.24.34]
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>, "rtcweb-chairs@tools.ietf.org" <rtcweb-chairs@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] NAT Draft

Howdy,
I've read the draft and I do think some consensus has been reached with regard to some of it.

Having said that, though, I don't think this needs to be a WG document because that implies we would be publishing this as an RFC eventually... and I don't see a need to do that.

We should instead incorporate any requirements we reach WG consensus on into the draft-ietf-rtcweb-use-cases-and-requirements WG document; or if we feel that that document is meant for high-level requirements only, then we should create a new WG document that covers all the specific requirements.

Having separate individual drafts is ok for now, but having a separate WG doc and RFC for every requirement sub-category seems unnecessary to me, and likely to cause confusion.  It's not like we would expect to only satisfy the requirements of RFC X but not Y, is it?

[note: We might have separate RFCs if we plan a phase-1 and phase-2 approach for W3C and browsers, but this NAT one isn't in that type of situation.  And we might have a separate RFC for requirements for new protocol work, such as a data-transport one if we need the Transport Area to create a new transport, but this NAT one isn't that type of situation either.]

-hadriel