Re: [rtcweb] Remote recording - RTC-Web client acting as SIPREC session recording client

"Hutton, Andrew" <andrew.hutton@siemens-enterprise.com> Tue, 23 August 2011 17:49 UTC

From: "Hutton, Andrew" <andrew.hutton@siemens-enterprise.com>
To: Dan York <dyork@voxeo.com>, "Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 19:50:53 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>, "public-webrtc@w3.org" <public-webrtc@w3.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Remote recording - RTC-Web client acting as SIPREC session recording client

Hi,

Also agree that implementing a full SIP Session Recording Client (SRC) as defined by the SIPREC WG in to the browser would be a tall order and would open the flood gates for a lot of other requests for SIP functionality in the browser.

If however SIP is not in the browser then I think it is a useful and interesting test case to look at whether we could build a decomposed SRC with the browser handling the media and the web server handling the signalling. What I heard a number of times at IETF81 is that what people want is to build innovative new applications with a real time media enabled browser and to it seems clear to me we need a browser API which is flexible and enables applications to do clever things with media streams. So exploring some use cases which require the browser to duplicate and copy media streams is a good idea.

Therefore I think we should keep explore the remote recording use case further.

Regards
Andy

Andrew Hutton
Siemens Enterprise Communications Limited.

Siemens Enterprise Communications Limited is a Trademark Licensee of Siemens AG.