Re: [rtcweb] Proposal for Theora baseline codec

Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org> Thu, 29 March 2012 14:33 UTC

From: Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org>
To: Monty Montgomery <xiphmont@gmail.com>, "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 14:33:30 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.255.102.4]
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Proposal for Theora baseline codec

Hi Monty,
Couldn't it be that no one went after Vorbis and Theora because the
rightholders had no real incentive to do so?  For example, because the
products implementing Vorbis, in their vast majority, also included MP3
and/or AAC, and the rightholders would have to deal with patent exhaustion
arguments and whatnot after having gotten their money; and because theora
deployment never reached a critical mass because it was a) not good enough
technically, and b) felt to be too risky?
I would turn your argument around: the (comparatively speaking) lack of
commercial success of vorbis and theora, and the success of royalty
bearing standard codecs, suggest to me only that no one was fooled, except
perhaps the enthusiastic followers of those folks who keep pushing out one
"free" codec after another...
Stephan