Re: [rtcweb] SRTP not mandatory-to-use

<Markus.Isomaki@nokia.com> Wed, 14 December 2011 12:24 UTC

From: Markus.Isomaki@nokia.com
To: xavier.marjou@gmail.com, rtcweb@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 12:23:57 +0000
x-originating-ip: [88.114.31.241]
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] SRTP not mandatory-to-use

Hi Xavier,

In your case the VPN use might be good enough from enterprise IT perspective, but not necessarily for individual employees suspicious of their co-workers, or the IT department, for that matter :)

As far as I can tell, the trend in corporate services is towards service-specific end-to-end security and away from L3 VPN type of catch-all solutions. For instance, I'm now connected to my corporate e-mail over TLS and to my corporate VoIP over TLS and SRTP, not having my IPSec VPN on. 5 years ago I could only access those services using the VPN.

Markus