Re: [rtcweb] Use Case draft

Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org> Mon, 30 April 2012 22:28 UTC

From: Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org>
To: Randell Jesup <randell-ietf@jesup.org>, "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 22:27:51 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.255.102.5]
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Use Case draft

Hi Randell,
I don't buy this argument.
Speakers are a standard piece of equipment now; almost everyone with a PC
has them in some form.  Without a webcam, webrtc would be pretty useless,
and every webcam nowadays has a microphone.
I have no reason to distrust Tim's assessment, but the reason for the lack
of success of PC facilitated sales doers you cited, IMO, cannot be the
main reason, and certainly not among the expected users of webrtc (who
WILL have speakers, camera and mic set up, ready to go, and used to make
calls from their machine).  And if your argument refers to the call center
site--well, those guys will get their equipment right and train their
employees, or go out of business.
Lets not dismiss a use case based on short term observations.
Stephan