Re: [rtcweb] Notes on security for browser-based screen/application sharing

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Fri, 22 March 2013 15:44 UTC

Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 15:44:17 +0000
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
Cc: "Cullen Jennings (fluffy)" <fluffy@cisco.com>, "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>, "public-webrtc@w3.org" <public-webrtc@w3.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Notes on security for browser-based screen/application sharing

A related question, apologies if this is well known
already, or it if fits more within the W3C than here.

Are there other things on the user's device that might
end up being shared? E.g. accelerometers or other sensors.
There have been papers demonstrating that access to such
information can reveal lots of things, e.g. passwords.

I also wonder what's supposed to happen to the camera
and mic if a screensaver kicks in. (Thinking again
that a password might be entered at that point and that
the remote end might be able to extract that from
noise/arm movement if the camera/mic are still on.)

S.