Re: [rtcweb] On the topic of MTI video codecs

"Olle E. Johansson" <oej@edvina.net> Fri, 01 November 2013 07:07 UTC

From: "Olle E. Johansson" <oej@edvina.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 08:07:41 +0100
To: Daniel Constantin Mierla <miconda@gmail.com>
Cc: "Cullen Jennings (fluffy)" <fluffy@cisco.com>, "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] On the topic of MTI video codecs

On 31 Oct 2013, at 21:51, Daniel-Constantin Mierla <miconda@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/31/13 10:35 AM, Olle E. Johansson wrote:

>>> I think that Mozilla put it pretty nicely in their blog. What this annoucement gives us is not a perfect world. Mozilla is working towards a better future but in the mean time, this is the best thing we could possibly figure out on how to make the internet today be the best it can be for users.
>>>
>> For the Open Source community in general I beleve this is a big move forward and I want to thank everyone involved in getting this done. It can not have been an easy internal struggle through all layers of the company. Everyone will benefit from it.
>>
>> For us in the Asterisk community I believe this opens up for use of video in a whole new way.
> To my understanding, the release of the codec is for webrtc only, and particularly for client side/browsers. For clarification, is this codec/blob available to use for free in any application, no matter its relation with webrtc sessions?

THe text on OpenH264.org says:

"Cisco is announcing today that we will take our H.264 implementation, and open source it under BSD license terms. Development and maintenance will be overseen by a board from industry and the open source community. Furthermore, we will provide a binary form suitable for inclusion in applications across a number of different operating systems (Windows, MacOS, Linux x86, Linux ARM and Android ARM), and make this binary module available for download from the Internet. We will not pass on our MPEG-LA licensing costs for this module, and based on the current licensing environment, this will effectively make H.264 free for use on supported platforms."

Doesn't even mention WebRTC - does it?

/O