Re: [rtcweb] Congratuiations on the Cisco announcement - but we still prefer VP8

"Karl Stahl" <karl.stahl@intertex.se> Sat, 02 November 2013 12:04 UTC

From: Karl Stahl <karl.stahl@intertex.se>
To: rtcweb@ietf.org
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 13:04:33 +0100
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Congratuiations on the Cisco announcement - but we still prefer VP8

>From below:> "will *only* provide H.264, thus forcing everyone to comply
with it. Who's going to do anything else, when you know the only way to
reach all browsers is *the* codec?"

--- That fear should not be underestimated: Compare telephony, where 3.5kHz
G.711 still is 99% of the traffic, and use of wide band audio codecs to
reach 7kHz AM-radio quality between two different carriers is yet to be seen
(in spite of IP/IMS/VoLTE)...

I thanked Cisco for their free H.264 offering - WebRTC needs video
compatibility when connecting with existing services - but many thanks to
Google also: That free baseline H.264 would hardly have happened without
their free VP8 offering...

Note that neither free H.264 nor free VP8 are conditioned any one of them
being selected MTI!

For compatibility using Cisco's free H.264 offering, the codec plug-in slot
and download of a H.264 codec are required, so that must be made mandatory,
must it not?

Then, when minimum video compatibility thus is assured, maybe IETF could
reach consensus about a free and good video codec that could be included in
a WebRTC browser from the beginning?

BTW: In an IETF recommendation, mustn't such codec plug-in slot be open for
more than download from Cisco and for more than H.264 baseline?

And, with compatibility assured, wouldn't VP9 be an even better video codec
MTI?

/Karl