Re: [rtcweb] Congratuiations on the Cisco announcement - but we still prefer VP8

Randell Jesup <randell-ietf@jesup.org> Mon, 04 November 2013 16:26 UTC

Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2013 08:26:42 -0800
From: Randell Jesup <randell-ietf@jesup.org>
To: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Congratuiations on the Cisco announcement - but we still prefer VP8

On 11/4/2013 6:58 AM, Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:
> I believe we should in general be thinking about what it takes to make
> webRTC successful. And more than anything else, that means making it a
> platform that application developers can utilize. If we do our jobs
> well, we'll have many thousands (hundreds of thousands even) of
> applications on the web that are enabled with real-time comms and
> frankly a great many of them will know nothing about codecs or the
> nuances of MPEG-LA licensing. What are the considerations for making
> webRTC attractive to them?

Those are all important considerations.

> I assert that the primary thing they'll want is to interconnect their
> application with some kind of video network or user base that can add
> value to their application. Let me give an example. Lets say there is
> a bank, and this bank wants to add the ability for a user to look at
> their investment portfolio online, click a button, and have a
> voice/video call with their investment advisor. To build such an app
> into their existing banking web app, the bank will need webRTC to
> connect to the voice and video contact center and clients their
> investment advisors have. Today, all of that is based on H.264.

Here you're stretching - most of these don't have an existing system
"based on H.264" for this.  Some may, but most do not; video access
would be something new in any case.  And for many of those use-cases,
end-to-end WebRTC would be preferable to gatewaying to another system.

> So - I would assert that frankly our primary consideration for webRTC
> is interoperability. And interoperability as a requirement clearly
> points to H.264.

Interop is certainly a consideration and that's where H.264's advantage
lies.  (H.264's only real technical advantages are interop and the
possibility of existing hardware support).

> There are other considerations too. Some of the ones I'd list are:
>
> * Interoperates with install base
> * Widespread deployment

Not in of itself a consideration.

> * Appeals to the existing set of video application developers - in
> other words, the biggest consumers of webRTC should be the folks who
> are already providing video communications applications on the
> Internet (which by definition none of them do so natively from the
> browser). Don't we want them to come to the web with webRTC?

This is just the interop argument again.

> * Available widely in hardware - especially mobile phones
> * Broad availability of expertise

I don't see this as a consideration.

> * Broad availability of toolsets

It's unclear if this has any import or not.

> * Multiple codebases and implementations to choose from

Only of use to those willing to pay MPEG-LA fees.   Everyone else has to
use platform OS codecs, HW codecs, or Cisco's plugin.

   Randell Jesup, Mozilla