Re: [rtcweb] (resend) RE: Draft agenda for RTCWeb session 2 at IETF85

Cullen Jennings <fluffy@iii.ca> Sun, 21 October 2012 23:21 UTC

From: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@iii.ca>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 17:21:46 -0600
To: Stefan Hakansson LK <stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com>
Cc: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] (resend) RE: Draft agenda for RTCWeb session 2 at IETF85

On Oct 21, 2012, at 8:44 AM, Stefan Hakansson LK <stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com> wrote:

> On 10/20/2012 07:23 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
>> Can we just save a bunch of time and have a show of hands at the
>> beginning for:
>>
>> A) People who WILL NOT implement H.264 in their product and cannot be
>> swayed by any presentation
>>
>> B) People who WILL NOT implement VP8 in their product and cannot be
>> swayed by any presentation
>>
>> C) People who are still undecided enough that they want to hear the
>> presentations
>
> I think something like this makes sense. We could alternative do a show of hand for preference of either alternative, if it seems we're far away from any (rough) consensus then we could move on to discuss if we should abandon an MTI video codec, or select an alternative decision process.

I'd like to point out that rough show of hands was done at a previous meeting and it seemed like getting to agreement on a MTI video codec was possible.

On the question proposed, I don't think this is the right question. The right questions would be of the people that want present information one way or the other, how many of them think nothing they say will change the opinions of anyone in the room. If they feel this way, I'm sure the presentations will be short and no one will line up at the mic to discuss it. My best guess is that the will be people at the front of the room, and at the mic, that feel they have something to say on the topic.

Keep in mind this approach was discussed at the last meeting an there seemed to an awful lot of people that felt this was important. We have spent an incredible amount of WG meeting time trying to get to the point were we can make have a meeting where we try and come to consensus on this.