Re: [rtcweb] realiable data service

Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com> Sun, 17 July 2011 22:54 UTC

Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2011 15:54:53 -0700
From: Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com>
To: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
Cc: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] realiable data service

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 8:51 AM, Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com> wrote:

> I'd like to push back on the reliable service. I've yet to hear a use case
> for it that was real time. It's very hard to do a reliable real time
> protocol and we have seen zero proposal for this. For non real time data,
> just dump it in dropbox of whatever your equivalent is and don't do it peer
> to peer.

Can I see your dropbox incantation for remote camera movement?  I am
particularly interested in how you make it useful without a reliable, near
real-time message that says "go check dropbox for $foo"....

To put this another way, a reliable protocol associated with a real time
stream has some pretty obvious uses (gaming has also already been
mentioned).  Whether it is truly "real time" or not is potentially subject
to debate, but the results of the semantic nit-picking won't tell us much.
The reliable protocol is a useful part of the real time system, even if its
retransmission and congestion control methods make it less "real time" than
rtp.

Just my two cents, also as an individual contributor,

Ted