Re: [rtcweb] Protesting the QoS document decision

Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com> Thu, 14 November 2013 04:29 UTC

From: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 20:29:19 -0800
To: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>, "rai-ads@tools.ietf.org" <rai-ads@tools.ietf.org>, "tsv-ads@tools.ietf.org" <tsv-ads@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Protesting the QoS document decision

> I want this group to be done. As long as I can't even point to the
> document that describes how we do QoS, I have no chance of getting it to
> that stage.

[BA] The approach of dispersing work among half a dozen WGs isn't working in this case, and in fact hasn't worked particularly well in the past either, because it generates neither urgency nor focus.

At this point, we are probably not much more than a year away from widespread deployment of  running code. So if a critical dependency is not making progress toward a WGLC it is time to hit reset. The reality is that there is no reservoir of undiscovered manpower to get this work done, just interested authors and reviewers who if fed a steady stream of documents without unnecessary distractions and bureaucratic impediments can help us rapidly get to closure.

Our current process is akin to shuttling children from one neglectful foster home to another until we lose track of them and realize to our dismay that something bad has happened. This isn't a plan so much as an accident waiting to happen.