[rtcweb] SIP MUST NOT be used in browser?[was RE: Remote recording - RTC-Web client acting as SIPREC session recording client]

"Ravindran Parthasarathi" <pravindran@sonusnet.com> Wed, 24 August 2011 00:56 UTC

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 06:27:36 +0530
From: Ravindran Parthasarathi <pravindran@sonusnet.com>
To: igor.faynberg@alcatel-lucent.com, rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: [rtcweb] SIP MUST NOT be used in browser?[was RE: Remote recording - RTC-Web client acting as SIPREC session recording client]

I agree with Igor.  It will be good in case the discussion in the line
why SIP MUST NOT be used for browser. I guess that the following are not
the reason for not selecting SIP:

1)       Memory usage in browser is not the limiting factor for SIP. I
know of the SIP application which works well in embedded device with
16MB RAM.

2)      In case the idea is to use the simple alternative protocol for
the basic dialog between browser to browser. It is possible for the same
protocol to become as complex as SIP in 5-10 years while adding more
feature or services.  We end-up with two protocol for real-time
communication from IETF and interact through gateways.

3)      As per IETF recommendation,  standalone application in endpoint
has to use SIP for real-time communication whereas the same application
running in browser has to use RTCWeb recommended protocol. It is tough
for each application to support both protocols or its related
infrastructure to make it work. Or the intention is not to use SIP
anywhere in endpoint?

I'm interested in hearing the reasons for why SIP MUST NOT be used in
browser.

Thanks

Partha