Re: [rtcweb] UDP transport problem

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Thu, 13 February 2014 22:44 UTC

Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 23:44:41 +0100
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: Cb B <cb.list6@gmail.com>
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] UDP transport problem

On 02/13/2014 10:20 PM, Cb B wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 12:48 PM, Harald Alvestrand
> <harald@alvestrand.no> wrote:
>> On 02/13/2014 06:56 PM, Cb B wrote:
>>> My concern is that IPv4 UDP is so toxic it will be blocked.  It may be
>>> wise to start SCTP in the standard from the start.
>> The bad guys will follow wherever the ports are open (and are usually
>> faster at writing code than the standards guys are at writing specs); so
>> will the traversal artists.
>>
> Harald, the issue is not open ports. The issue is the entire transport
> type is polluted.

And I think that notion is bogus. Faced with the choice of dealing with
the devil they know (UDP) and the devil they don't have a clue about
(SCTP), firewall operators are going to stick with building out the
rulesets around UDP, and continuing to refuse all the "new stuff".

So I don't think the plan has legs - adding SCTP without the UDP wrapper
to our options will not help anyone do anything.

But this is trying to forecast the thinking and action of humans that
are not me, which is something I frequently get wrong - so other
opinions would be welcome.

>> WebRTC over port 53, anyone?
>>
>> (DNS is the one UDP-based service that's so important to the Internet,
>> it *cannot* be turned off unconditionally - so I expect that if UDP in
>> general gets blocked, port 53 will be the port 80 of UDP-land.)
>>
> DNS runs over TCP as well.

For AXFR, yes. For daily lookups .... better not tell any root DNS
operator you're advocating that they should have all their lookups over
TCP; you wouldn't like the expletives that result.

> But that's not the point.  The question is can we include native SCTP
> as an option in  draft-ietf-rtcweb-transports?  What is the downside?

Clutter.