Re: [rtcweb] MTI Video Codec: a novel proposal

Matthew Kaufman <matthew@matthew.at> Mon, 10 November 2014 21:55 UTC

From: Matthew Kaufman <matthew@matthew.at>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 13:55:13 -0800
To: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] MTI Video Codec: a novel proposal

I cited those three players just as examples of known positions. There are several others, of course.

This proposal puts the large initial burden of IPR risk and/or cost on the browser vendors...

I think we would need to know how happy Apple, Google, Microsoft, and Mozilla (plus the other major browser vendors ) are with a requirement that both H.264 and VP8 be included with their browser and/or operating system.

We may be tired of this, but it isn't like we have a royalty-free option for H.264 MPEG-LA or IP risk indemnification from Google.. So what's changed for the browser makers?

Matthew Kaufman

(Sent from my iPhone)