Re: [rtcweb] Proposal for Theora baseline codec

Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org> Thu, 29 March 2012 15:04 UTC

From: Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org>
To: Basil Mohamed Gohar <basilgohar@librevideo.org>, "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 15:03:39 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.255.102.4]
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Proposal for Theora baseline codec

HI Basil,
Really interesting discussion.  Top-posting this time, as I have to run.
Yes, saber-rattling was present.  Is present.  It worked in the past,
plus/minus Mozilla, didn't it?  That's the whole idea behind
sabre-rattling.  It's better than sabre-swinging.  More diligently put,
warning of potential infringement is better than to punish an infringer.
Cheaper, and serves the purpose.
And thinking of a Mozilla as a juicy target (based on the numbers you
cited) seems to me a bit of a far fetch, considering a) the percentage of
multimedia codecs on a web browser's value proposition even today (let
alone 5-10 years ago), and b) the monetary damages asked in high-profile
patent lawsuits today.
Stephan